Sunday, February 1, 2009

Thoughts on my birthday

Yes, today marks the beginning of my 26th year of existence. I am spending the occasion sitting by myself in my desert home (which I have finally returned to today after another traveling stint), nuzzled up with my propane gas heater, and moving very slowly because of the soreness that is still present after recently running the Marrakesh semi-marathon. The ol birthday wishes of "happy birthday old man!" sent to me from friends and family today seem to be slightly less humorous when that is precisely what I feel like.

Birthdays have never held that much importance for me, and I suppose that apathy is intensified when in a place where age is of such little importance. I am in fact so apathetic that I don't have anything more to say on the matter. So much for deep thinking...perhaps I'll have more to say next year when the feeling of moving forward is made more apparent through moving back to the motherland.

A more logical update on the past 6 weeks is coming up shortly, I promise.

4 comments:

G. Usey said...

Hi Chris,
I tumbled into your site because I have a google watch on the phrase 'ideamine' and I guess you'd used idea.Mine in a sentence on your blog. But hey, travelers like us enjoy serendipity.

I see you are in the Peace Corps and take great photos, plus your blog looks good. I work in the office of eDiplomacy at the U.S. Department of State (yes, really) and we do a number of collaborative/community projects online, some open to public, some just for our intranet. I'd like to invite you to collaborate now that we have gov leadership that has an idea of how social networking and online technology works. (at last....)
For more info: visit State.gov and get to the blog called DipNote (that's a product of the public diplomacy office, not eDiplomacy which is where I work. eDiplomacy's stuff you can read about on Wikipedia or by searching the State.gov website. We have a returned PC vols community through eDiplomacy's 'Communities@State' which is available through Intelink.gov Not sure if you can get to Intelink.gov and get a passport (their name for passwords), but you might consider for future.
This is not some weird 'approach' just that I saw your blog and hope that you will spread your thoughts and experiences. An easy way would be through www.GovLoop.com and start a group for Peace Corps folks. On GovLoop, I'm LP ONeil and have started groups: Writers, Code Green, Spanish Speakers, State Dept and others.

Hey, have a good week and take care of Ziz. Terrific story. I'm glad you kept the pup - obviously meant for you! Link to one of my blogs...

L. Peat O'Neil
http://peatoneil.blogspot.com
http:/powerwalk.ning.com
www.AdventureTravelWriter.com

Myriam said...

I really enjoyed coming across your blog Chris!
I find it very living and interesting, and can assure i'll be quite an assiduous visitor :-)
Keep up sharing.
Regards,

Myriam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LGW said...

Hey Blackwood,
Ya know, you really need to update yer blog a little more often.
Linley