Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Leid Kbir!

After experiencing Leid Kbir, I would have to say that I have now encountered what I believe to be the most extreme cross cultural integration event that I may experience during my entire stint here in Morocco. To elaborate on this Muslim holiday from my last entry, it is actually kind of like Christmas. Just instead of a pine tree, every family gets a sheep...and instead of setting it up in their living room and decorating it, they take it to their back yard and slaughter it. And instead of receiving presents, family members gather around to receive their portions of mystery meat.

What I mean by the Christmas comparison is that the feeling of loving thy family, getting together and celebrating is very much the same. The medium to get there is just a bit different. Its actually kind of admirable...every participating family seems to know exactly what their doing while slaughtering and preparing the animal. I don't know of one member in my entire family, extended included, who would have the slightest clue as to what to do with a sheep, dead or alive. I was asked if for Thanksgiving we gather around and watch as the turkey is slaughtered...and I felt stab of laziness as I replied that, well, no, most families I know of, including my own, buy a pre-killed, pre-skinned turkey. Perhaps after another year of watching some good ol fashioned slaughterins I'll be able to step up to the plate, butcher knife in one hand, live turkey head in the other.

I was also lucky enough to be in a large family, which required both a cow and a sheep to feed sufficiently. The first slaughtering came about a bit unexpectedly...2 days before the official beginning of Lied. I was on my way out the door for my tutoring session, and was told that I had to cut the session an hour short in order to catch the show. This was communicated to me by my host sister saying I had to be back for the (drags her finger across her neck with a big smile across her face). And boy am I glad I made it back in time. The whole family was there, many of whom had just arrived that day to make the occasion. My mom made tea and cookies, and we watched family butchers go to work as if we were watching the superbowl. I couldn't resist posting the pictures of this that I was encouraged to take, so I apologize to those of you with weak stomachs. Anyways, whats there not to love? It's the circle of life, and we are at the top of the food chain! Hoorah!

As for the food, its actually been delicious thus far. For the past 3 days I have eaten nothing but meat kabobs, mixed with tasty spices and bread. However, I may be speaking preemptivley since I have yet to eat any liver, eyes, or testicles. There is plenty of sheep left, and we are just now getting to the last of the cow, so for those of you who are reading this on the edge of your seats, I shall keep you posted. Happy Holidays!

No comments: