Saturday, October 27, 2007

Week of maddness, and random add ins

So you remember that thing I said about time flying by and the past month feeling more like a year? Well this week was that phenomenon on crack. I have been busier than I can remember myself ever being, and have been challenged just as much. When I say challenged, I am referring to the 40 children and the job assignment I was given to teach them all English activities that will allow them to burn off steam and learn simultaneously. In addition, we had to create lesson plans for the more advanced students, which was difficult in they are at very different levels, and we had a very minimal amount of time to work with. On top of that, we have been really cracking down on language training since the end of CBT is in the incredibly near future (Sunday).

On top of all that, the week became truly crazy when the host mother of one of my PC counterparts passed away. It really took everyone by surprise, especially because she had seemed relatively healthy just a week prior to when it happened. So, yet another intercultural experience for us to observe…what happens when someone dies. Basically it included most of the town gathering around the house where she had lived(which happened to be located right next to where we had been taking language classes) and mourning…her body was brought to the house, along with a lamb to be slaughtered. The PC staff decided it was a good idea for us to leave in such a situation, and thus we were evacuated back to Fes a few days before the other CBT groups. Despite all of the challenges we have faced in our CBT group of 5 people, one thing has become apparent…at this point, we are certainly ready for a lot.

One thing that I forgot to mention about in my last entry was Leid Sgr, the Muslim holiday that immediately follows Ramadan. This was fun and overwhelming at the same time, like many of the experiences I have had thus far. It started with waking up early and eating a giant breakfast consisting of an incredible amount of pastries. I was then taken to the roof and was told to bring my guitar. My older brother and his friends brought a hooka up and we spent about 2 hours playing music, smoking hooka, eating pastries, and making interesting Darjish conversation. My LCF and 2 of my counterparts joined me and were dressed up in classic Moroccan dress, thus making me obligated to do the same(note pic).

This was followed by spending the remainder of the day walking around the town and visiting the host families of the other volunteers. By visit I mean sitting down and at each house, eating pastries, and drinking lots and lots of tea (otherwise known as Moroccan Whiskey…if you are sitting down in a Moroccan household, chances are you will have a cup in front of you).

Alright, I suppose that’s enough for now…I look forward to having a consistent schedule in the near future, and for things to be a little less insane so I can give more consistent, more organized entries. Halloween is right around the corner, which should be a very interesting experience in a country where its unheard of, with other Americans who are planning on going all out in celebration regardless. Until next time…

No comments: